Let's Make Tiered Tags

 














A recent project in swap group Creative Crafty Friends, I am calling these tiered tags. The project called for making strips similar to Tim Holtz' Collage Strips - nostalgic and vintage. And I did make some of those to trade but you know I am not a sepia and grey kind of person. Hahahaha! I did make myself a couple 'sort of' Tim Holtz collage strips but I added some color. Then I wondered how I could use these in my art. How do they translate to what I do? They make great tags. A little long but that's easily fixed. And I needed color. Stacked up little strips of leftover color. Yes! They can be tags on my daily journal pages or in my art journal. Tiered tags! I like it! 


The Tim Holtz strips aren't too costly but why spend money if you don't need to? I keep all my scraps and leftover bits from other projects. Actually I have 3 drawers of leftovers and bits and bobs for collage work. Hahaha! Start by pulling out a handful of scraps that are at least two inches wide. I trimmed them into various sizes from 1.5" tall and as narrow as 1/2" tall.




Next, take a sheet of card stock or printer paper and cut it into two inch wide strips. With an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper I was able to get five strips. And you need an adhesive of some type. Anything from a glue stick to double sided tape. Whatever you have on hand will work. I opted to use some sticky stuff from Joggles. It is a double sided tape and I put three long strips on one side of the tag.  




Decide on the placement of your scraps and adhere them into place. This is an example of the three 'Tim Holz' tags I made to keep. Sepia, vintage, nostalgic and a few pops of color to wake me up. Hahaha! I love color!




Then flip the tag over. Use some scissors and trim away those hangover pieces. Just trim your tag. One thing I noticed with my old eyes was this. I had trouble seeing the white edge of the tag when it had white scraps behind it. Made trimming a little bothersome. Next time I will use a piece of colored card stock for my backing and that should take care of my problem. 





When you turn your tiered tag over, this is what you get. I do like it and I will use it. I just like color better. You must already know this about me. Hahahaha! I am obsessed with color!






So I made this one next. There! Better! Hahaha! If you have my color background books you may recognize a couple of these pieces. And instead of vintage photos of people I opted to use some of my little people stamps I colored with Copics. 






Once trimmed, this is how my tiered tag looks. I love it so much! I will definitely use this in my art journaling somewhere. And I will add one more step. Inking the edges. I didn't do that yet. I might want to use a color other than my standard black on all those side edges. When I use the tiered tag I will decide about adding color to the outside. Let me show you the other pieces I made.













Actually I will use that first photo again. Click on it and the picture will enlarge and fill your screen. Hopefully. I made three tiered tags that Tim might be proud of. And, I made four tiered tags that I will surely use. And they mostly have my art. I did use a couple bits of leftover scrapbook paper too. Easy peasy to do! I hope you will try these tiered tags for yourself. I hope you love them as much as I do! I would love to see what you make! Even if they are sepia and grey. Hahahahaha! 

Comments

  1. good stuff! love your use of color!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I love them all dear Alice👍😍❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are fabulous, Alice! Such a fun technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you've inserted the people images on those non-Tim Holz panels - the way they straddle two strips: really effective. Interesting seeing the differences between the older looking Tim Holz panels - the are very much the vintage style. I think their success will depend upon where & how they're used. The more contemporary colourful images I can see are easier to use. Interesting concept of having 'stacked' images. - Evy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know how I’ll use the Tim type strips but I know the colorful ones will get used.

      Delete
  5. These are so delightful, Alice!! Thank you for sharing with us, your avid followers. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. These were so much fun to make

      Delete
  6. i've never seen nothing like this. it's different and beautiful, thanks i loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much <3 they were a lot of fun to make

      Delete

Post a Comment

I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dream It and Do It!

Tangled Dragonflies All Around

Octangling, 2020 Has Begun