Mixed Media Jigsaw Puzzle

Fun post for you today! I took a plain white jigsaw puzzle I had on hand and put it through the color works. A little bit of everything and I then had a fun, colorful, bright puzzle to put together while I was thinking about what to do next. Hahahah! A little trouble focusing these days. Let me show you what I did.













I originally ran this post back in May on a different site. If it looks familiar, I hope you will revisit it with me. It began with a gelli plate and some acrylic paints from Dylusions. Rose quartz and lemon zest at first and just a small amount because these paints go a long way on a gelli plate.











Using a brayer, I rolled the color back and forth and side to side till my plate was covered. Nothing too technical happening in this post today, just play and fun. I took a sheet of card stock and made a lift to remove some of the paint. 











Remember that Taking Back the Studio project I am committed to? The one where I use every stencil I own at least once? Here is a stencil! And it’s a fine one and it was pristine. Hahahaha! The stencil went down on top of the plate, then I took the fresh lime bottle of acrylic and rolled out a layer right on top of the stencil.











I am missing a couple photos here, nothing new there. Hahaha! I removed the stencil and did a lift with that same sheet of card stock. Then the fun started.












I had this plain, white, blank jigsaw puzzle sitting off to the side and an idea came to me. I wondered if I could gelli print with the puzzle. My plate needed a little more color so I added some pink in just a couple areas and placed the puzzle face down into the color. Smooshed it all around real good and lifted. Not so great for detail but I got lots of color. If you look you can still see some flower shapes with the green paint. At this point I wasn’t sure I was going to like my puzzle and didn’t know if it was a keeper or not, so I continued.











I tried the fresh lime and the stencil again, the same steps as before. When I removed the stencil, I made another lift using the puzzle. And I got more green, but still not much detail.











I rolled a layer of bubblegum pink all over the gelli plate and made that lift you see in the background. I used it later and made something really cool with it. And I did another lift with my jigsaw puzzle. And I got more star shape/flower shape this time. And I was liking it better.











Then I wondered if I could draw on it. If my pens would work over acrylic on paper, why wouldn’t they work over acrylic on a puzzle? So I used my heat tool and dried the whole thing really well and grabbed a technical drawing pen from Zebra Pen and started outlining each piece of the puzzle. A little tricky because the surface was slick. So, not perfect but now I was really liking the potential I was seeing.











Jane Davenport’s Paint Over Pens – they worked great for making a border!











And another color for mark making.











But it needed more contrast, more dark. That same technical pen added some tangling – some ripped screen and printemps. And my chop is hiding in there, too! Tipple came with a white Uniball Signo pen.














I felt like it had lost its oomph and needed some help, so out came the fruit punch Dyestress ink pad.











I did not ink the edges but in retrospect I probably should have. Hahahaha! But I did use the ink pad to scuff across the puzzle surface and bring some more pink to the equation. And a green paint pen.













I was just opening drawers and pulling supplies out. I hadn’t used these chalk inks in a long time. I was surprised this one still worked. Hahaha! Stamped some ink pad shapes in a few places. And honestly I still wasn’t sure if I would keep this or throw it in the trash.











But it was growing on me. Those blue scuffs are from a Ranger Distress ink pad. Just scuffed right over the surface.











I brought those paint over pens back out and added more of the pink. I used a green paint pen for mark making, and I brought out a white Sharpie water based paint pen to make white marks everywhere! Yes! Now I love it!










And I knew it was time to stop before I messed things up. And apparently I have my chop on this puzzle in at least three places. Hahahahahaha! Make that four places. I keep looking. Five places, I’m going to stop now.














This puzzle stuck together very well while I worked. Taking the pieces apart was a little bit of a challenge, but that just means the pieces will hold up better over time. And yes, I did put the puzzle together again. It was a lot of fun! I think I may buy more of these now that I know I can actually do something fun with them. Here is a link to one that Michael’s carries online. Have fun! I would love to see what you do!

Comments

  1. Yes I counted 5 chops too. The black one is nicely hidden with the usual camouflage!! I certainly don't fancy trying to put this jigsaw together - not an easy one at all. Intriguing project though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have put it together a couple times. Even though it isn’t very big it was hard because all the pieces look the same.

      Delete
    2. Yes -I did wonder. Great news - the email notification for this post just came through. Thought you'd like to know.

      Delete
    3. thank you, it seems to be working finally

      Delete
  2. I do remember this post, but it is well worth revisiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello you it's been a while! I have a couple of these jigsaw blanks too. Great idea for using them. Did you put some sort of protective glaze over them? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! yes, it has! no, no sealer, I just lobbed a bunch of product all over it

      Delete

Post a Comment

I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dream It and Do It!

Tangled Dragonflies All Around

Octangling, 2020 Has Begun