Tangled Florals


Florals. That is what I've been working on lately. Trying to learn and stretch myself. On this particular piece I wanted to add some of my own patterns to the mix. 

















The paper I chose to work on is from Hahnemühle. Of course :) this one is called The Collection. A watercolor paper that comes in a couple formats, the one I am using is cold pressed. You can see that just by looking at the photo. See the texture of the paper? Hot pressed is smooth. The sheets are large enough I can make two of these paintings on each page. I just used 1" painter's tape (because that is what I had) and taped off an area. Then tangled my flowers. Varying the heights of both the flowers and the leaves. Tangle patterns used: Lucy, goose, frond and weave. I drew with a Sharpie ultra fine. I knew I was going to use watercolor over it and that particular Sharpie does not smear with water. 





I painted right inside that taped area. First - make sure the tape is securely down all around so the paint doesn't seep under the edge. Believe me, it is not a pretty sight when you work so hard on a picture and remove the tape to find a mess under it. For this one I painted the flowers first, then added the background using Schmincke watercolors. Once everything was completely dry, I went back over all the lines using the same pen. 







Last, I used a Sharpie water based paint pen and added some white highlights. I believe my white chalk pencil would work on these as well. I may try that on the next painting and see. 

This Collection paper is really great for watercoloring. And it should be since it is a watercolor paper. Duh. Hahahahaha! I am going to be giving away a pad in Tangle All Around soon. Watch for that. And I am going to work with the hot pressed paper later this week. Can not wait! Except life keeps getting in the way. Hahahahahaha! Have a great week!











The Collection paper from Hahnemühle can be purchased here

Comments

  1. Your flowers have so much character! I expect them to whirl and twist and jump off the page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying all day to reply - sorry - these flowers are fun to do , I had hoped to work on some today but it isn't working out so far

      Delete
  2. Love the way you've layered the flowers both in front & behind plus in height. Really effective with the tiny touches of pink in the background echoing the pinks in the flowers - perhaps some petals got detached & they got caught up in the wind & are swirling around in an out of focus background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those little pink bits are something tracy taught us. I like them, too

      Delete

Post a Comment

I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dream It and Do It!

Tangled Dragonflies All Around

Octangling, 2020 Has Begun