ATV Riding in Maine


 













Maine is beautiful. We live in an isolated area, lots of nature all around us. And a small town not far away. Remember all the snow we had not long ago? When the snow leaves, this is what is left. And we like to enjoy it riding our ATV. Let me show you. 



As we were leaving the house we noticed Twitchy sitting on the cross beams. Eating his banana chip. Twitchy is our second red squirrel. He is a friend that Rocket brought over and he shows up just about every day. I can tell which one he is because he shakes. All over. All the time.  He isn't afraid of us like the newer ones. And Twitchy poses for photos just swell! 


Dale is our little chipmunk. We have just the one that comes by - usually late in the day - and stuffs his little cheeks till they look like they may burst. He runs away and empties them out, then comes back for a second round of the Hendon Buffet. 



This is the actual road we live on. Down a little ways, our end is paved. Our ride on Sunday took us down this road. Around the top of that hill we turned off into the woods to the right on one of the ATV 'trails.' 


This particular trail starts off fairly wide. Lots of rocks and lots of mud from the rains we have had lately. If my daughter was driving we would have flown through this mud puddle and we would both be covered in mud. But she is not here, so Mark took his time driving through the mud. And we didn't get covered in it. Hahahahaha! I can just hear Kali saying, "Well, that's no fun!" Hahahahaha! 



A lot of people don't like windmills or turbines. I love them. I don't mind the soft humming noise they make. It makes me sleepy. Hahaha! Our turbines help power the city of Boston. How dumb is that? We have people here struggling with the cost of heating and power. One would think these turbines should help the people of Maine. Not Boston. 



And just look at all those rocks. I grew up in Newfoundland, Canada. A stand alone island off the northeast part of Canada. Our American nickname for Newfoundland was "The Rock" because it was literally covered in rock. Not even kidding. These trails in Maine remind me so much of home. Of Newfoundland. When we ride, we don't talk much. I just ride along and think. It is great! I miss Newfoundland so much and these rides help with that. 



Do you see the row of rocks along the right? The ground drops off abruptly there. The rocks are so the snow plow drivers don't go over the edge and to keep us ATVers on the trail. You can't tell from this angle, but some of those rocks are as big as our 4-wheeler. 




That nice road leads to this trail. The first photo I showed you was taken in this trail. It is probably my favorite ride because of the tree coverage. It is like being in a tree tunnel in places. I have a 13 second video I will try to add at the end of this post so you can see what I mean. 




Yes, we do ride right over those rocks. Sometimes they are even bigger. You just hang on and take it slow. It is great fun! Hahahahaha! 















Eventually our ride brought us here. In the winter this would be frozen solid. In the summer it looks like this. It is supposed to be in the 70s here this week. Next week we have a couple days of 80s - that will be 'summer' - then it will go back down and we will work our way towards fall. Maine weather is strange but I love it! 


We rode 40 miles in three hours. Every time we come by this spot I expect to see a moose standing out there drinking water. Have I ever seen one there? Never. But I will continue to be hopeful. Hahahahaha! Cause you just never know. 



There were a couple other people out having fun at Pleasant Lake. Mark fishes here a lot. 


Later that day we went to Smryna for dinner. Coming home these folks were in front of us. I can not believe how many people they stuffed in there. Hahahaha! And there is one more that you can't see in this photo. I don't like for them to see me taking photos so I always take them from the back. The amish here are friendly and pretty much always wave to us. 



This morning I noticed my little flower garden is getting ready to take off. Many flowers are getting ready to bloom. I wish I knew more about flowers here. The garden came with the house and I don't have a clue what is what. I can not tell a weed from a flower, so pretty much if they have beautiful flowers on them they get to stay. Gardening 101 With Alice. 


That is the back side of our house. This fellow is in our back yard. You can see the date and time on the bottom of the photo. The cameras caught him once more since then, much closer to the house. There is a bear cave to the right and in the woods. I love to see the bears on the camera. Haven't seen any in person yet and I am A-OK with that! Now, let me try this short video of part of our ride. So much fun! 

And that is it for today from Maine! Have a great week! We are working on a new email notification system so your emails from this website may soon look a little different. Just giving you a heads up. You don't need to do anything. If you haven't subscribed to get all of my posts sent to your email inbox, there is a link at the top of this page. It just says Subscribe, click it and sign up. One less thing you have to remember. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for the peek into your world. Looks wonderful with all the trees and critters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maine is beautiful! But I still couldn't take all the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sandra, love the scenery but the snow I couldn't cope with at all. Love the scenery & I'd imagine the bird life is tremendous. I have fond memories of the birdlife in Brecon but found tryign to keep the land under control on a 45 degree or steeper gradient plus the isolation very hard because we don't run a car. Can see why you enjoy the ATV drive - but please be careful, especially near those big rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rocks are part of the fun. Hahah! Lots of birds of all sizes. Mark got some pictures of a Canadian goose and her babies on the lake yesterday.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. Our family spent this weekend traveling up towards the Allagash and along the Golden Rd. This is why we live in Northern Maine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it here. Down around houlton. Do I know you? Hahaha! If you feel like it send me an email at kenoly2000@hotmail.com

      Delete
    2. I love all your photos of your Maine adventures! ❣️😍

      Delete
    3. it's been hard to get pictures since Covid started. we haven't gone out that much.

      Delete
  5. Alice this is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your world. I lived at Argentcia in the late 70's. I taught school on the base. Really a different world...but I loved it. I know you miss it and it's rugged individualism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do miss it! we left Argentia in 1970. I grew up there and it really is home. no matter where else I go, it is still home.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos, Alice! I've never been to Maine but would love to see it in person. We watch the Maine Cabin Masters and LOVE seeing the gorgeous scenery in the areas they work! I was born and raised in California (the Bay Area) and moved to Nevada 14 years ago. We live in the mountains between Lake Tahoe and Reno. So being a West Coaster, I am just fascinated by the East Coast! Because you mentioned you were raised in Newfoundland, I pulled up some photos online and very much enjoyed getting at least a visual tour. How wonderful to be raised in such a natural and beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watch Maine Cabin Masters, too. I like the lady on the show. She has great ideas! Newfoundland is a beautiful place. We went for a visit a few years back. It was wonderful. I started crying when we got on the road to home. It was exactly as I remembered.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dream It and Do It!

Tangled Dragonflies All Around

Octangling, 2020 Has Begun