Getting Gnarly

ZenART Supplies is taking on World Watercolor Month and it is my turn to get gnarly with it! Hahahaha! Yep! It is!



World Watercolor Month is an annual event founded by Artist and creator of Doodlewash® Charlie O'Shields. We celebrate all month long in July by painting, stretching, learning and helping. This year's charity is International Child Art Foundation





Each day there is a prompt to get you inspired. The ZenART Supplies Artist Luminaries have each taken a day to share with you and today it is my day. My day to get gnarly! Actually the prompt is gnarled, so gnarly is real close. Let me show you what I did! 






Of course the first thing I did was turn to Mr. Google. And I found this awesome tree/plant that I believe ties into a video game??? Hahaha! It is called a Gnarled Ash Flower and it is perfect for today's prompt. I began with a piece of Van Gogh Watercolour paper and a Sharpie Ultra Fine and sketched out the loose tree shape. 





For paint I brought out my Pearl Colors set of FINETEC watercolor paints. Awesome paints - handmade in Germany. Using my #8 round ZenART brush I swished colors side to side to mimic ground and sky. Several layers actually until I liked it. 






Next came my tree. My gnarled tree. The part of meeting today's prompt. That moon was easy to do just swishing my paint brush around in circles to remove color. 








Switching to the #2 round ZenART brush I added the ash flowers to my gnarly tree. Hahahaha! Easy peasy. 


Before removing the painters tape I used a stencil brush and my black Archival ink to darken the edges. A ghostly gnarly in the moonlight kind of tree. 







And it was time to remove the tape. I love removing the tape! Just look at those edges! And that gnarly Gnarled Ash Flower. Cool!

Worldwide Watercolor Month. It is time for you to join in. Just grab a brush and some paint and get to work. Some days I paint circles, some days I paint lines and some days I try to paint other things. Like flowers and now like gnarly trees. And it is all good. 












ZenART Supplies paint brushes can be purchased here



Comments

  1. FABULOUS, Alice!!! I love all the nuances in your tree. And the COLORS!!! You're a master at atmosphere. What a wonderful piece!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan, that is high praise and I appreciate it so much 🤗❤️

      Delete
  2. I love your art work, fantastic😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, regina, something different for me

      Delete
  3. I have an image in mind. I'm going to try this today! Thanks Alice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the texture you created on that tree & the colours all work beautifully together to create a desertlike other worldly atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Evy! I googled for gnarly flowers and came up with this. I believe it is from a video game, I don't think it is a real plant. I was surprised how this came together, totally not something I usually paint.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dream It and Do It!

Tangled Dragonflies All Around

Octangling, 2020 Has Begun