Index Card Journal





Today I want to share a project I made as part of the Art Party Weekend. Except I just made mine a couple days ago. This particular project was taught by Marjie Kemper. She teaches a lot of mixed media and collage type classes online. For this project she used a series of eye stamps she had on hand. I had a bunch of these Lavinia Stamps that I had never used before and thought they would be perfect for my little journal. 


We started with five 4" x 6" pieces of mixed media type paper. I used Bristol Illustration paper from Hahnemühle. The bottom three cards were not tabbed to start with. I cut those spaces away from the 4x6 card and created my own tabs. All pieces were coated with gesso, then painted with acrylic colors. On both sides. 


I folded one of the extra pieces in half. (I did not use the second extra.) Then all pieces were scored on the bottom, 1/4" up. To do this easily, I used my Scor Pal. I have had this sucker for probably 7 - 8 years and have never used it before this. But I remembered where it was - hahahahaha! And it worked great! 






Stamping came next. I had enough of these Lavinia stamps to do something different on nearly every page. One tip is to remember to work outside of that 1/4" folded area. 





And I did a lot more. Let me show you the pages. I used a black Archival ink pad to go around all the edges and grunge the pages up a bit. I used stamps, word strips, jewels, dazzles and some washi tape and staples to bind the edge. I don't like that part. We put all the pages together tightly and stapled within that 1/4" space, then covered the spine with washi tape. Not the best, but it worked for a quick project. This is my cover.



I used a variety of Tim Holtz and Art by Marlene word strips. I really do love how this book turned out - apart from the binding. Six inches tall and about seven inches wide when opened. 



Aren't these little fairy stamps awesome? Here you can see the page I folded in half. It makes a smaller flap. 



I primed each of these stamps before I used them, but they still stamped out sketchy and splotchy. I figure it just adds to the texture of the page. Hahahahahahah! I love these words strips! 



I didn't realize these two tree pages would end up together. Oh well. It is all good. It's like a little forest. An awesome little forest because it has dragons! 



And the back. I had that wording all spaced out well and then I read it. And it didn't make sense. I had dropped the "and forget" bit on my desktop and the other pieces were already adhered into place. So I just squished it right in there anyway. Hahahahah! I love this snail rider stamp! It reminds me of the dragon riders!


Not part of the book but I wanted to show you anyway. This piece of card stock was originally used for rolloff color when I was using a gel plate. It was just sitting in the drawer. When I started priming - or test stamping - the stamps before I used them for real, I reached for something to practice on. And this is what I grabbed. These are all the practice - or priming - images I made. No thought involved, just stamp here and there and see if it worked. And now that I look at this page I see several scenarios happening. And I just know there is some way I can use these bits and pieces in my daily journaling. What do you think? 

And hey, if you make a little index card art journal of your own I would love to see it! 

Not subscribed to my blog? Easy enough to take care of. There is a subscribe block in the left sidebar. Fill that out and hit subscribe, then each time I post it will show up in your in email automatically. Thanks for reading! 

Bristol Illustration from Hahnemühle can be purchased here

Comments

  1. It's so beautiful dear Alice. I made two such little books in springtime. They are very good as birthday cards! 👍😍😘🤗👋

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book is fabulous, Alice! And I think your test sheet would be great as is used as a book cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the test sheet better than the journal

      Delete
  3. Actually I think those two trees pages are supposed to 'go' together - perfect forest for your dragons to inhabit & after all it is a fantasy journal. The test sheet is fascinating - reminds me of a Tim Holtz background paper!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dream It and Do It!

Tangled Dragonflies All Around

Octangling, 2020 Has Begun