Leaves Are Falling in Maine


 















Fall has come to Maine. And as beautiful as it is, it also means winter is coming. I am hoping fall will stay here for awhile before we have to contend with the snow. Our yard is usually the last place for the leaves to change colors around here, but as you can see our trees are lightening up just fine! 



Tracy Weinzapfel is currently leading a class called GrateFALL HeART Journal Challenge and the second day we worked with leaves. Real ones collected from our yards. Mark and I walked our tree line and picked up several different kinds - that I forgot to take photos of. So here you see two dried up ones I pulled out of the trash but they give you an idea. I used about four or five different leaves in my art.





I began by prepping two pages. Schmincke watercolors and they are still wet in this photo. I tried to go with colors that we have in our yard. 





And dry. I love the colors! You know, Tracy charges for this class. So, I can not tell you step by step what we did. But I think you are smart enough to guess. 






When we gathered leaves I grabbed up one off the ground that had all the leaves still intact. I really like the ghosting effect I was able to achieve. 






From there I followed the steps I usually do. Don't you love how the leaves just start coming to life? 




Steps. Steps. Follow the yellow brick road. If you follow any of my other art you will be able to figure these steps out. 



Here it is finished and with the tape removed. That finishing vignette step makes the colors pop. Remember at the beginning I said I prepped two pages? 



Here is the start of the second piece. After the ghosting had been done. 




And after all the detail work. These were so much fun to do! And they are an accurate representation of both the types of leaves we have in our yard and of what they look like. Pretty cool, I think!

I will be working towards getting back up to speed with all the things I have been doing in the past. With one exception. I will not be agreeing to do everything like I once did. If you ask me to participate in an event, I will if I can and if I have the time. I need to pace myself better than I have in the past. I don't want these past couple health-related months to repeat themselves. Patience, young Padawan, patience. 



Would you like to subscribe and receive every post straight to your email inbox? There is a subscribe block in the left sidebar, just scroll up. Easy peasy. Thanks for being here <3 

Comments

  1. Alice, these are soooooooooooo gorgeous!!! And, probably because I have a fall birthday, these are my colors. :) Thank you for posting. These images brought a lightening to my heart today. I needed that. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful, Alice! I need to start looking for interesting leaves around here. The East wind has started to blow so soon my yard will be buried in them. I think you are wise to limit what you are doing. Even though the projects are fun, trying to do too many just leads to stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I’ll be trying to avoid stress as much as possible.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful , the art and the decisions❣️
    Take care of you first and foremost, 🤗❤️
    Phillis

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really pretty! I am not ready for fall yet (except the cozy sweatshirts) but I love the colors of Maine. I miss it. Glad you are feeling better! Yes, it is hard to slow down, but your health is most important. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, kris, it’s a beautiful time of year.

      Delete
  5. The ghosting creates spectacular results even before the inking. The black double lining looks so effective with the white, you can really see the contrast in your photos of the first leaf after initial black penwork then again after the white penwork has been added. Those little red hearts really add a quirky embellishment too. Yes, less is more, fewer things enable one to do those fewer things better (that's what I'm learning).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the ghosting, too! I may do another and just leave it at that stage

      Delete
  6. So very beautiful, I know how much making art can soothe the soul, and lift the spirit. I can tell you this, your art has lifted mine. thank you for the steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really does help, and I am glad I was able to life your spirit some, too <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dream It and Do It!

Tangled Dragonflies All Around

Octangling, 2020 Has Begun