Morrisseau, Hahnemühle and ZenART Supplies


 













Norval Morrisseau was an indigenous Canadian artist from the Ojibway Bingwi Neyaashi Anishinaabek First Nation. His work is recognizable by the bright colors, organic shapes and thick black outlines. Canadian artist Cherryl Moote recently designed a tangle she named Morrisseau in tribute to one of her favorite artists. 


Cherryl would work this tangle on a white background. I chose to go with a colorful background because that is more my style. The paper is Bristol Illustration paper from Hahnemühle. The watercolors I used are a set called Sereno from ZenART Supplies. And I just painted an all over layer of various colors, then dried it with a heat gun. I added a second layer that included all the roundish blobs of color, that I outlined roughly with other watercolors. And that was all the color prep I did. 


I tried several drawing pens, none of them worked well on this paint. So I went with my Sharpie fine point to draw the tangle Morrisseau. Heavy lines for the blobs, a little detail inside a few of them, then connecting lines - every blob needs to be connected. 


And then I weighted those lines. Remember, one of the things Morrisseau is noted for is the thick black lines. On my connectors I added a little weighting on each end where they touch the blobs. A little 'nzeppleish but it works. And I believe Morrisseau would leave it at this point. 


But not me. I went with some white highlights using a Posca paint pen. I really like the shine it gives each color and the pop it brings to the overall piece. Maybe I will do another piece starting with a white background, then adding color inside the blobs. You can also add tangles inside the blobs. Or in the areas created by the connectors. So many possibilities with Morrisseau. I can see myself playing with this one for awhile. 



Bristol Illustration paper from Hahnemühle can be purchased here

Sereno Watercolor Set from ZenART Supplies can be purchased here

Comments

  1. I really like this. The white really adds that pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, it really makes a difference. I hope you will try it for yourself :)

      Delete
  2. I so love this tangle, Alice I love what you created with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, you should try it. morrisseau is relaxing and easy to do

      Delete
  3. Your additions of white make quite a difference to the look & it's interesting to see how the rough outlining of your blobs created the effect of shadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think the white gives it more 3D-ness.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dream It and Do It!

Octangling, 2020 Has Begun

Tangled Dragonflies All Around