To Shade or Not to Shade?

 

Should I shade? Should I not shade? Shading your tangle art is something many tanglers would rather not do. They don't know what to shade or how to do it and it is just easier to skip that step. 

Since being so sick earlier this year I have really had a hard time getting interested in doing any kind of art. I used to make art all day long - now I rarely feel like it. But one day earlier this week I felt like tangling. For awhile. To draw this piece I traced two 3.5" square tiles onto my paper in pencil. Overlapping at those top middle corners. And I just used tangles I like. From left to right: SOCC, Beauchamp, Z'ghetti, Caracole and Printemps with a bit of Tipple thrown in. When it came time to shade I just wasn't feeling it and pushed the whole piece to one side, feeling a bit defeated. The next day came after some much needed rest and I suddenly felt like shading! 

Much better and I added a few highlights here and there. Shading is easy if you think about 'over and under' and 'in the valleys.' Anywhere one section crosses over or under another section - shade where that happens. If you have valleys and highs like in some of the wavy tangles, shade the valleys. Use a graphite pencil to add the shade, then use a tortillon to gently rub the graphite and make the shaded areas. It really is that simple. It can be much more involved as you gain experience, but for starters this is a good way to go. 





So. To shade or not to shade? 

Always go with the shade. It truly makes a difference in your art. Whether you are creating in black and white like this example or working in color, shading and highlights make a huge difference. Don't let it scare you away. Start small and build your courage up. It is worth it. 

Comments

  1. Very wise advice advice regarding shading. It does make a huge difference, & definitely start with simple & then take it from there as you gain experience. Take good care & allow your body to rest - which it sounds like you're doing. Much love from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. One day at a time. Love you, too!

      Delete
  2. I so agree, Alice! It's rare that I don't shade a tile. It just doesn't seem to be finished until I do. ... It's so nice to find you online again. :) What an incredible ordeal you've been through! I've never experienced cancer, but just the thought of it terrifies me. The impression of stength you've sent out to the Zentangle world is an incredible source of determination for those who need it. I'm sending you BIG (but gentle) hugs! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan. It’s been a heck of a year. I’m ready for 2023.

      Delete
  3. Your explanation on shading is excellent! I'm sure you've encouraged many people to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. Thanks. I know I need simple explanations myself. Hahaha.

      Delete
  4. Shade is more beautiful dear Alice. I love your art work. All the best for you, hugs and love for you. Your Regina ❤️👋🤗😘👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Regina! Your words mean a lot!

      Delete
  5. I have so missed you and am beyond excited to have you back even in small amounts! My take on shading has always been I'd I feel like it right then, do it. If not wait. I don't actually zentangle I ZIA. I have sketch books that I use. So I always have my previous work at hand. Sometimes I have gone back even years later and either shaded for the first time or enhanced previous shading. I say let it speak to you, but you have to listen! Again so glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! great to hear from you. I don't always work on tiles. this was actually a page I cut from a calendar and tangled on. I like working larger scale like 8x10

      Delete
  6. So good to see your post Alice! I had wondered off and on about not seeing much of you online. So sorry to read of your health challenge! Praying for total healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, so much went on with my health. cancer free now and ready to feel back to normal. haven't had a lot of interest in making art but hopefully that will eventually change.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Dream It and Do It!

Octangling, 2020 Has Begun

Tangled Dragonflies All Around