Building an Art Journal Page
Most of you know this already - since my husband died a little over a year ago art has been hard for me to put together. I can think of something I want to do or make, get out the supplies, and then all interest is gone. Like it never happened. And I put everything back in the drawer. There were a couple months about a year ago when I was having fun coloring in little pictures of animals or kids or flowers. Just coloring them with my Copic Sketch markers. In one month I colored a little over 100 of them. Then I realized (or remembered, actually) that they are great for art journal pages. So I started putting pages together. A little at a time.
I put this page together a week or so ago. My journal is one I made for myself using Bristol Illustrated paper from Hahnemühle. The pages are 5.5” x 8” - just the perfect size for a quick and easy put-together. I knew I wanted to use the paper on the left side for sure. I believe it is a collage paper from Art by Marlene. I liked the way the colors complimented the girl I colored with Copic Sketch markers. Then I searched my desk for bits and pieces with colors that worked well with those two. The word stickers came from Ciao Bella on Joggles. For me the fun part is in placement and configuration. Actually it is a close second behind colors. To complete the page I used: stencils, Posca paint pens, a Tombow pen, a black Archival ink pad and a little block of tangled art.
But what does all that look like to you?
It may look something like this. Above you can see my art journal. I knew I wanted the blank left page to go well together with the one on the right. I don’t always do this but I had this little sunflower girl I knew would be a great compliment to the girl on my other page. First I found a piece of paper to use as a background. The colors work well with the colors on the adjacent page. I had just gotten a shipment from Natalie May Scrapbooking which is located in Australia and I found this 'dream in colour' block that would go perfectly. I colored it with some Copic Sketch markers to match the vibe of the page I wanted to create. Then I pulled together some bits from here and there that were in the same color scheme-ish. (Keep in mind that you can change your opinion as you work.)
And this is what I finished with. Both these girls are from the set of 100+ I colored last year around this time. I pulled a scrap from a piece of Art by Marlene paper that matches the first page and added it to tie the pages together. I also used: Posca Paint Pens, gel pens, a Sharpie pen, stencils, black Archival ink and a piece of tangled art. Want to see the whole spread together?
So what do you think? Here is a spread that looks a little difficult to make, but in actuality is very easy. Just find the pieces you want to include, figure out an arrangement and glue them into place.
So now you are ready to make an art journal page of your own. It can be as elaborate or as simple as you wish. The point is to just jump in and do it. Make a little art today. It is working for me. I hope that it can work for you as well.




Comments
Post a Comment
I've been waiting to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your time with me.